Author Archives: admin

Ben

Ben has never completed anything in his life. That is until he graduated from the REAL (Recovery, Empowerment, Achievement in Life) program at LifeWorks NW! Ben came to the program temporarily homeless, struggling with drug use and having issues at … Continue reading

Posted in Success Stories | Leave a comment

Carmen

The emergency room is all too familiar to Carmen. Her adult children brought her regularly, fearing she was suicidal. Finally she promised them she would be o.k. and they set up an appointment for her with her primary care physician. … Continue reading

Posted in Success Stories | Leave a comment

Connor

Connor Achieves Success through Day Treatment Nowadays Connor runs out the door excited to be going to school. A year ago he might have wedged himself in a corner, screamed, kicked, hit or bit his mom, Kathleen, as she tried … Continue reading

Posted in Success Stories | Comments Off on Connor

Tara

Tara kept busy doing meth for years.  During this time, she left her children with anyone who would agree to take them.  One of her children’s caregivers was their grandmother.  It was there, they became physically and sexually abused.  Now on the verge of losing … Continue reading

Posted in Success Stories | Comments Off on Tara

Kayla

At 14, Kayla is a thoughtful, intelligent, artistic young woman.  She loves horses, does well in school, and is well-liked by those who know her.  By all accounts, Kayla appears to be a normal teenager.  But her life has been … Continue reading

Posted in Success Stories | Comments Off on Kayla

Children’s Relief Nursery Becomes Official Program of LifeWorks NW

The Children’s Relief Nursery has become an official program of LifeWorks NW effective July 1, 2012, announced Mary Monnat, LifeWorks NW President & CEO. This step represents an increased commitment to the families both organizations serve and establishes a best-in-class … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Children’s Relief Nursery Becomes Official Program of LifeWorks NW

Annie

Just last month, I was privileged to see Annie again. Annie could easily have been a statistic.   Half-black, half-white she didn’t fit in anywhere.  She failed consistently in school, — no surprise as she couldn’t read –of course she learned … Continue reading

Posted in Success Stories | Comments Off on Annie

Myth: I can sober up

Myth: “I can sober up quickly if I need to.” Facts:  If you think that taking a shower, drinking 10 cup of coffee or eating a loaf of bread will help you sober up – think again. The only thing your … Continue reading

Posted in Myths Around Addiction & Mental Health | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Myth: Manic Depression is different than Bipolar Disorder

Myth: “Manic depression is different than bipolar disorder.” Facts:  Manic depression is the old name for bipolar disorder. The name was changed to more accurately describe the type of mood disorder it is — someone who experiences swings between two poles of mood … Continue reading

Posted in Myths Around Addiction & Mental Health | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Myth: Every teen drinks

Myth #25: “Every teen drinks.” Facts:  Not true. Although 31% of teens said they drank alcohol in the past month that still leaves 69% who did not! If you choose not to drink, you’re definitely not alone.

Posted in Myths Around Addiction & Mental Health | Leave a comment