Most people know June as LGBTQ Pride Month, but not everyone is aware of the history behind it. Pride is a relatively recent celebration, which was first held in the summer of 1970 in New York City’s Central Park. The first Pride march was organized to commemorate the one-year anniversary of the Stonewall Riots in Greenwich Village in 1969.
While Stonewall wasn’t the first major protest that members of the LGBTQ community engaged in to combat discrimination and stand up against unfair treatment by law enforcement, it was the event that gained the most national attention. Similar protests had taken place in San Francisco and Los Angeles, with some gay activism beginning as early as the 1920s.
Throughout the years, the celebration spread to other cities and around the world, becoming the major event it is today. Most Pride events take place during June, although the exact date and month vary by location. While there’s usually a parade, there is often a festival and a number of other local activities hosted by and for the LGBTQ community.
In Portland, Pride has been held since 1976. While COVID-19 disrupted Pride celebrations over the past couple of years, the event is back in 2022 and there are a number of events the public can attend to celebrate.
We still don’t know exactly what COVID case counts will look like over the coming weeks, so we urge members of our community to use their best judgment on masking and social distancing in accordance with state and federal guidelines and their own personal health risks. Please also check ahead of time to find out about an event’s policies, as some are requiring masks and/or proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
Here are a few of the events happening in Portland, Oregon this month:
- Pride at the Museum (OMSI) – June 10 at 6:00 pm
- Portland Pride Market – June 11 at 11:00 am – 4:00 pm
- 2022 Portland Gay Pride Pageant – June 12 at 5:00 pm
- Melange: A Queer & POC Variety Show – June 15 at 8:00 pm
- Back and Black: Juneteenth Black QT Pride Kick-Back – June 16 at 4:00 pm
- The History Of Black Drag In Portland: An Evening Of Conversation & Performance – June 16 at 7:00 pm
- T-Party: The Trans Family Reunion – June 17 at 5:00 pm
- Portland Pride Waterfront Festival – June 18 at 12:00 pm – 6:00 pm, June 19 at 11:30 am – 6:00 pm
- Trans Pride In The Park – June 18 at 12:00 pm
- Dyke March – June 18 at 6:00 pm
- Portland Gay Men’s Chorus Performance – June 18 at 7:30 pm
- Pride Pics Outdoor Film Festival – June 18-19 at 8:00 pm
- Gaylabration Dance Party – June 18 at 9:00 pm
- Portland Pride Parade – June 19at 11:00 am
- Queer Clothing Swap and Fundraiser – June 19 at 2:00 – 8:00 pm
- PDX Latinx Pride – June 19 at 9:00 pm
- Let’s Pride Together Block Party – June 25 at 12:00 pm
- Portland Pride Paddle – June 25 at 10:00 am